W.E. (Eston) Mayberry Sr. and Walton “Buck” Stewart formed a partnership known as Ideal Furniture Company. This business was located on Crossville’s Main Street across from the Tennessee Central Railway Station and merchandised new and used furniture and appliances.
W.E. Mayberry sold his interest in Ideal Furniture Company to Mr. Stewart and formed a new partnership with his son, W.E. (Bill) Mayberry Jr. who was stationed in Austria in the U.S. Army. This business was primarily a jewelry and gift store located next door to Ideal Furniture Company in the same block the Mayberry’s furniture store currently occupies.
After completing army duty and the senior year at The University of Tennessee, W.E. Mayberry, Jr. became active in the business in 1947. In 1948, the Mayberry’s expanded into new and used retail furniture business one block South on Main Street.
Mayberry’s used a portion of the jewelry-gift space to open a franchise of The Dollar General Store, which they operated until 1974.
In 1965, W.E. Mayberry, Jr. became the owner of Mayberry's furniture, jewelry, and dollar stores.
In 1970 Mayberry’s Furniture moved to its current location at 139 S. Main Street.
After completing college and a brief Air Force tour, W.E. (William) Mayberry, III joined the firm and became a full partner two years later.
W.E. (William) Mayberry, III becomes owner In January 1986.
Mayberry’s Interiors, on Peavine Road, near Fairfield Glade, was opened as a decorator and special order store. At this time James S. Mayberry re-joined the firm as the manager of the new expanded operation.
Mayberry’s downtown expanded and opened a new showroom.
W.E. (William) Mayberry, III retired. James S. Mayberry then became the managing member of both locations.
James S. Mayberry became sole owner and operator.